Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Representing My Culture (Written Feb. 20, 2011)


Since freshman year, I have always enjoyed Culture Day at DCDS. During one special lunch period every February, the many cultures represented within the DCDS community set up food tables during lunch to sample the edible parts of their cultural heritage. Although a relative minority at DCDS, the Jewish faith has always maintained a strong food table during culture day. Those who have participated in the past always had a smorgasbord of latkes, matzo ball soup, humantashins, and many other stables of the Jewish diet.

As a senior, I want to leave my stamp on the culture day activities. For this reason, I have decided to sign up as the head organizer for this year’s Jewish table. Though I am surely in over my head, I know this experience will help me learn organization skills which I have previously not developed. The success planning and implementation of this project will help me better my communication skills, especially with other Jewish students whom I haven’t previously met.

As I will need to have enough food for over 500- 600 students and faculty, the successful undertaking of this job will require that I would collaboratively with others. Already, I have discussed with other Jewish students the possibility of bringing in food. To make sure we do not forget any essential Jewish dishes, I have made a comprehensive list with each of the foods and the expected amount we will need. Even in the early stages of this project, I have surprised myself with the organizational skill I possess. As culture day approaches, I hope that this diligent planning will lead to a successful representation of the best parts of Jewish culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment