Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Culture Day 2011: A Learning Experience (Written 2/27/11)


As I have mentioned in my previous post, the planning of culture day was a daunting task to say the least. If I had to cook one more latke, I think my kitchen would have self-destructed. However, despite the stress leading up to the event, I am happy to say that the Jewish table had a strong showing. Between Margaux Hyman, Joe Juszak, my brother Alex, and me, we were able to wine and dine the many students as they sampled our matzoth ball and potato knishes (among many other dishes). Along the way we were hoisting people up in chairs (a tradition and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs) and singing in Hebrew the few songs we knew.

I think our group achieved learning outcome #6 to its full extent. The crowd seemed to be never ending; though we had a never ending supply of food, it took great effort to properly plate each sample for the full hour lunch period. Overall, I learned that within me is the ability to lead people and organize them into a successful operation. My leadership as captain of the tennis team called upon these skills in dealing with day to day conflicts, but I have had to make such a flurry of decisions that determined the success or failure of an event.

Overall, the most important part of Culture Day was that we had fun with it. I only wish that I knew how great this event was when I was a freshman; four years of participation would have been lovely. I learned a lot of things from the Culture Day experience, but more importantly, I discovered a pride in my Jewish culture that I thought I had lost long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment