Monday, January 24, 2011

From Player to Coach

When tennis season ended, I needed to find a new place to take my tennis skills. Besides staying in shape, I figured that it was finally time to all my tennis wisdom to younger, less experienced players. For this reason I decided to embark on a new challenge: working as a tennis coach. I went into the experience expecting to take from it one thing: my first pay check. However, once I started feeding balls and noticed some of the faults in the kids’ swings, I naturally began to offer advice on the things they could do to improve. Every Saturday and Sunday for the past two months, I have become more and more engrossed in the two hour clinics. What started for me as a way to earn some quick cash has become skill which I try to improve each time I am on the court. I have also had to develop a new kind of relationship: the coworker relationship. In this vein, I have achieved learning outcome #4. My coworkers and I have collaborated together in order to figure out the best way to reach these young kids.

Besides teaching, I intend to reach out to the tennis community in order to start a charity tennis tournament. Along with fellow IBer and tennis teammate Visakan, I wanted to spread the news to other tennis teams around the area in hopes of drawing some interest for a mixed doubles tournament. For a small fee, players would be able compete against other high school kids they know from the high school season and test their skills. I think it could be a great way to have some fun, meet new kids, and contribute to a great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment